I didn't know how resilient I could be.
Or how resilient I would need to be.
I was an athlete at the top of her game.
I was on my way to the Olympics, representing my beautiful home of Australia,
While training on a bike ride, I was hit by a speeding utility truck and plunged into darkness for ten days.
I'd broken my neck, back, ribs, right arm, collar bone, and some bones in my feet. My whole right side was cut open and filled with gravel. I lost about five liters of blood.
I was having a really bad day.
When I returned to my body, I was faced with a challenge far beyond anything I'd ever experienced.
While the doctors had put my body back together, I was told I'd never walk again.
So after much heartbreak, I said...
"If I can't walk, well then, I'll fly"
And I did.
As I relearned to walk, I also learned to fly.
As I challenged and amazed my doctors with my physical body, I was challenged and amazed by my own human spirit.
Through all the heartache and depression, loss and grief, I found more love, passion, and resilience than I'd ever known before.
And you can too.
You can rebuild something brilliant from absolute tragedy. You can create a life of incredible depth, regardless of where you are.
You can rewire your brain to embrace the power you already possess within. You can find new passions when old dreams fall away.
YOU are resilient. Amazing. Strong. Powerful.
It's not until we let go of the life we think we should have, that we find the life that is waiting for us.
And for me, the life I created was far better than the one I imagined.
I've written books
, inspired films
, joined other brilliant thinkers, and coached countless brave souls
. I've spoken to audiences and made connections that will last a lifetime.
By accepting the darkness, I found the light
So won't you join me?
Embrace your own resilience and see what unfolds.
Janine has more than just a great story. Through her years of struggle, she fought to learn as much as possible about the human mind, body, and spirit through education, courses, and taking to the skies.
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Movement Studies
- Graduate Degree in Education and Physical Education
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Advanced training certification
- Diploma of Counseling ( Australian Institute of Professional Counselors, AIPC)
- Positive Psychology and Well-Being Coaching Certification (College of Executive Coaching)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Training (MBSR)
- Private Pilots Licence
- Commercial Pilots Licence
- Instructor Rating
- Aerobatic Rating
- Aerobatic Instructor Rating
- Instrument Rating
- Multi-Engine Rating
- Seaplane Rating
- Never Tell Me Never ( Pan Mcmillan)
- Dare To Fly ( Random House)
- On My Own Two Feet ( Random House)
- Reaching For Stars (Random House)
- The Gift Of Acceptance (Allen and Unwin)
- Defiant (Sounds True)
- Order of Australia (AM)
- Certified Speaking Professional (CSP)
- Outstanding Young Person of the World- Junior Chamber International (TOYP)
- TEDx talk: “A Broken Body isn’t A Broken Person”- Talk of the day on TED.com. My talk appears in the book, ‘Talk Like TED.’
Who doesn't like a little 'pick me up'?
Grounded in psychology, written with love, and delivered monthly to your inbox, these emails are straight from Janine's heart to yours.